What essential oils are used for is one question which many people frequently ask. Do you too want to know about these healthy, multipurpose organic compounds?
If yes, you are at the right place. This is the definitive guide on essential oils.
But let’s start from the very beginning. Essential oils are organic compound which are directly extracted from the flower, bark, leaf, root, seed, or fruit of a tree or plant. They are usually created using distillation, a process in which water-based and oil compounds of a tree or plant are separated by steaming.
Essential oils contain high concentration of aromatic compounds, and because of this many times they are referred as volatile essential or aromatic oils. As essential oils are highly concentrated they tend to have a strong aroma. This is also the sole reason why essential oils are so healthful.
Because essential oils are so highly concentrated, they contain the strongest healing compounds of a particular plant. This can be easily understood from the following fact: Every single bottle of 15 ml of rose oil is made of about 65 lbs of rose petals!
Essential oils comprises of extremely tiny molecules, so small that can easily penetrate human cells. As a matter of fact some essential oils have the ability to even penetrate blood-brain barrier.
Don’t confuse essential oils with fatty oils, found in nuts or vegetables. Fatty oils are made of bigger molecules and hence can’t cross human cells. This is the reason why they are not half as effective as essential oils.
Essential Oils For Beauty/Health
While there are many skin and beauty products out there, most of them are filled with harmful chemicals. The good news is that they are not the only options available to you.
Essential oils are extremely good for your skin and beauty, plus they are free of harmful side-effects which chemicals used in many beauty products might cause.
Essential Oils for Hair
There are several essential oils that promote hair growth, such as Lavender, Rosemary, Thyme, Cedarwood, Peppermint, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Lemon and Patchouli.
On the other hand, if you want to get rid of head lice, try out these essential oils: Tea Tree, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Cinnamon Leaf, Peppermint, Geranium, and Thyme.
Essential Oils for Skin
There are several essential that improve skin health, making you look younger and fresher. Try out Ylang-ylang, Patchouli, Tangerine, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Lavender, Rose, and Cypress for better skin health and texture.
Essential oils for oral health
Many essential oils are extremely good for oral health, such as the following:
- Peppermint Oil – Research shows that peppermint oil kills anaerobic bacteria, which thrive in environments with low oxygen, like the mouth.
- Myrrh Essential Oil – This oil has a soothing and antiseptic effect. Precisely for these reasons, it is used for supporting gum health and healing mouth ulcers.
- Clove Essential Oil – It is used for relieving tooth pain.
- Spearmint Essential Oil – In addition to removing germs, spearmint oil is effective at soothing gum tissue.
Essential oil for energy
Has fatigue bogging you down lately? Are you no longer able to enjoy everyday activities like before?
Well then, boost your energy with help of these amazing essential oils.
- Orange Oil – It helps improve your motivation and energy levels, making you more productive.
- Eucalyptus Oil – Use eucalyptus oil and say goodbye to depression, anxiety, and bad moods! It refreshes and stimulates the brain, besides improving your energy levels.
- Grapefuit Oil – You will never complain of low energy if you use this essential oil. In addition to improving the energy levels, it prevents water retention and bloating.
- Lemon Oil – Lack of concentration can affect your productivity and energy levels. No oil boosts concentration as much as lemon oil. Use it to feel the difference in your life.
Essential oils to quit smoking
Smoking is linked to many negative health outcomes. Many smokers understand the danger of continuing smoking but are not able to kick the butt (literally!), because nicotine is extremely addictive.
Many people who want to know what essential oils are used for also ask if they can be used to aid smoking cessation.
The answer is YES!
Use these essential oils as they can help you to beat nicotine addiction.
- Black Pepper oil – In a study, the researchers found that inhaling black pepper essential oil vapors help alleviate craving for smoking. The fact that it alleviates anxiety is another plus.
- Angelica oil – This is another essential oil which reduces nicotine craving and has a calming effect.
- Lavender – When you give up smoking, you experience certain side effects, like lack of sleep, cravings for nicotine, and smoking-related anxiety for the first few days or weeks. Lavender has a calming, soothing effect and helps you sleep peacefully. It also provides relief from smoking-related anxiety.
- Citrus Oils – Lack of energy is another well-recorded side effect of smoking cessation. Citrus oil is a powerful energy booster and helps you get through the initial few days when you are likely to feel fatigued often.
- Ylang Ylang – This wonderful essential oil helps alleviate nicotine cravings. Pour a few drops of it on cotton square and place it on your pillowcase to get relief from nighttime nicotine cravings. To curb nicotine cravings during the day, inhale ylang ylang vapors.
Essential Oils for Detox
Here are the names of the top detox essential oils.
- Wild Orange
Essential Oils for Nails
If you want healthy nails, you should strongly think about using essential oils like lemon, frankincense, myrrh, lavender, eucalyptus, rosemary, and grapefruit.
Top 10 Anti-Aging Essential Oils
Want to know which are the best anti-aging essential oils. Check out this list…
- Carrot Seed
Essential oils for digestion
Here’s the list of the best essential oils for digestion:
- Peppermint – People with irritable bowel syndrome (or IBS for short) will benefit from drop of Peppermint oil, as it helps relieve discomfort linked to this condition.
- Ginger – Use this oil if you have stomach ache. It helps with gas, indigestion, nausea, and bloating.
- Clove – This essential oil has a soothing effect on the complete digestive system. It also helps alleviate inflammation of the lining of the intestine, in addition to providing relief from gas, nausea, bloating, and spasms.
- Tarragon – It lubricates the walls of the intestine, and this in turn improves the digestive process, helping you digest the food and absorb the nutrients better. Tarragon also helps eliminate toxins. Last but not the least, it has strong anti-fungal properties, which helps ward off intestinal parasites.
- Oils of Oregano – There’s no better essential for digestion than this one. It has strong antibacterial, anti-parasitic, and anti-fungal properties. Use it when your digestive system in distress to get it back to normal functioning.
Essential oils for Home
There are many essential oils that you can use at home to freshen it with a reinvigorating scent or to get rid of fleas, bugs, and ants.
Essential oils for Ants/Bugs/Fleas
Here are some top essential oils for this purpose:
- Lemongrass – It is effective against fleas, flies, and mosquitoes.
- Peppermint – If you want to kill and ward off ants, fleas, mosquitoes, spiders, fleas, and beetles naturally, use this oil.
- Eucalyptus – It is very effective against ants, bugs, and fleas.
- Tea tree oil – Use it to say to remove insects, fleas, ants, and bugs from your home.
- Lavender oil – It repels fleas, flies, black beetles, and mosquitoes, among others.
5 Uses of Purification essential oils
Purification oil contains Lemongrass, Rosemary, Lavandin, Citronella, Melaleuca, and Myrtle. It is useful for: purifying the air, deodorizing your carpet, improving skin health, cleaning cloths, and giving a fresh smell to your cloths.
How to make air freshener with essential oils
Making an air freshener spray at home is both easy and quick. Just take a reusable spray bottle and add 1 cup of water to it. Next, add 2 tablespoons of vodka and 15 drops of your favorite essential oil, and you are ready to go!
Cleaning with essential oils
Here are the top 10 cleaning essential oils:
- Wild Orange
- Tea Tree
Essential oil for laundry
Some of the best laundry essential oils are:
- Tea Tree
- Wild Orange
Essential oils for Pets
Did you know that essential oils are beneficial not only for humans but also pets? Yes, that’s right. There are many essential oils that are good for man’s best friend and other pets.
Essential Oils for Dog
These are 5 essential oils which every dog-lover must have:
- Cedarwood Atlas
Essential Oils for Cat
These 5 essential oils are safe for cats:
Essential Oils For Your Baby
Essential oils are good for not only adults but also babies. There are many essential oils that are absolutely safe for young children.
Essential oils for kids
Want to know for which condition you should use which essential oil? Check this list of aromatherapy essential oils for specific conditions.
Rose Otto Oil – Used for treating asthma and hay fever
Lavender Oil – Used for soothing sunburns and boosting the immune system
Chamomile Oil – Used for treating constipation. It can also be used in case of ear infections
Citrus Oil – Used for calming overstimulated children
Sandalwood – Used in case of sore throats
Essential oils baby sleep
Want to know which essential oils can help your overly excited, colicky or grumpy child to sleep? Well then, take a look at this list.
Lavender – Thanks to its relaxing and calming properties, lavender oil help your child sleep peacefully through the night.
Bergamot – This essential oil is unlike other citrus oils, mainly because of calming and uplifting effect. If your child is overly tired, use this oil to promote a good night’s sleep.
Ylang Ylang – This is one essential oil that is used a lot in aromatherapy. Why? Well, because it is super-effective at promoting relaxation and relieving tension.
Vetiver – Massage your child with this oil to promote a restful night’s sleep. Vetiver oil calms nerves and has a very soothing effect.
Cedarwood – It has a lovely woody scent and provides many benefits. Besides creating calmness and clarity, cedarwood promotes vitality and wellness.
Essential Oils For Aromatherapy
In aromatherapy, essential oils are used for enhancing the physical and psychological well being. It is believed that when aroma of essential oils is inhaled, it helps stimulate brain function.
Essential oils can also be used in other ways. For instance, absorbing essential oils via the skin can help promote whole-body healing. When you absorb essential oils via your skin, they travel through bloodstream and help promote healing.
Aromatherapy is a type of alternative momentum and has become increasingly popular in recent years. It is used for varied reasons, including, but not limited to, relieving pain, enhancing cognitive function, and improving mood.
Aromatherapy, however, is not something new. For more than 5,000 years, different cultures all over the world have made use of healing properties of essential oils to treat many different health conditions.
Essential oils aromatherapy guide
Massage therapy creates a great environment which facilitates oils to weave their magic and provide bountiful of benefits. Just remember that you should select the oils carefully, matching them to your needs, and use them safely.
Essential oils enter our body in two ways: through inhalation or skin. When you diffuse essential oil, their tiny molecules enter our body as we inhale. Similarly when you apply them topically, as in a massage, they are absorbed through our skin.
When essential oils are absorbed through the skin, enter our blood and lymphatic systems and get circulated throughout the body. On the other hand, when you inhale essential oils, their molecules enter into the body through olfactory and limbic system. Once inside, essential oils trigger healing wherever it is needed.
Essential oils for relaxation and stress
Are you looking for essential oils for relaxation and stress? If yes, then all you need are these oils:
Ylang Ylang Oil
While this essential was virtually unknown to the western world until recently, it has been used in many cultures for thousands of years. It is a potent depression-buster as it improves mood and relaxes the body. Besides depression, Ylang Ylang is also effective against chronic stress and anxiety.
Peppermint oil is a powerful stress buster, but it also provides many other health benefits as well. It can help relieve headache, nausea, upset stomach, indigestion, gas, and even anxiety.
There’s strong evidence that lavender essential oil is also beneficial for anxiety sufferers.
Aromatherapy essential oils
Are you looking for powerful aromatherapy essential oils?
All the three essential oils listed above—Ylang Ylang, Peppermint, and Lavender—are powerful essential oils. However, they are not the only one. Some more important aromatherapy essential oils and their health benefits are shared below. Have a look…
A potent biocide, eucalyptus oil is insecticidal, antimicrobial, and herbicidal.
This essential oil is known to improve respiratory health. You can get relief from cough and chest congestion by inhaling eucalyptus steam.
Tea Tree Oil
This oil not only has strong antibacterial properties but also antiviral, antiprotozoal, and antifungal properties.
Sandalwood oil is a well known essential oil. It is a soothing scent and is used for various therapeutic purposes, from relieving stress to improving sleep quality, calming nerves to improving concentration.
How to use essential oils for aromatherapy
You can use essential oils in many different ways, such as the following:
- Vaporization – Use a few drops of an essential oil, preferably with a carrier oil, in a diffuser or burner
- Massage – First mix the essential oil with a base product like carrier oil or moisturizing cream, and then gently massage your body with it.
- Inhalation – Put a few drops of an essential oil in a bowl with steamy water and inhale the vapors. Alternatively, put a drop or two of the essential oil on your handkerchief and sniff it.
- Hot or cold compress – Put a few drops of a suitable essential oil into a bowl of water and immerse a sponge in it. Wring and apply it on the affected body area. If you have muscle tension or stiff joints, use hot water; for an injury, use cold water.
As essential oils are used in very tiny amounts, it is best you mix them with suitable carrier oil when using it in a diffuser. Otherwise, the scent will evaporate rather quickly. The most popular carrier oils are:
- Almond Oil
- Olive Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
Essential Oils For Bath
There’s nothing better than a relaxing bath for unwinding after a busy day. Adding a few drops of essential oils to your bath can turn a regular, boring bath into a personal spa treatment.
Can you put essential oils in a bath?
This is one question that many people ask. The answer is YES! Adding a few drops of essential oil to your bath not only helps you refresh but also promote a good night’s sleep and improves your overall wellbeing.
What Are Best Essential oils for bath?
Here’s the name of some of the top essential oils for bath.
- Rose – It has a strong calming effect. It helps with nervous tension or anxiety and is suitable for all skin types.
- Neroli – It uplifts the mood and calms the mind. If you have had a stressful day, take a warm bath and a few drops neroli essential oil to refresh and prepare yourself for a peaceful night’s sleep.
Bath and body works essential oils
Using bath essential oils is a great idea. These oils help you relax and sleep better. In addition, they also provide you many health benefits. Give yourself the gift of a good night’s sleep by buying essential oils. You can also gift them to your loved ones.
Essential Oils For Sexual Life
Are you looking for aphrodisiac essential oils to boost your sex life? Well, these oils are all you would need. Have a Look
Aphrodisiac essential oils
Rose – Known as essential oil of desire and love, Rose oil detoxifies the blood, improves blood circulation, boosts semen production, and reduces stress and tension.
Ylang Ylang – A potent aphrodisiac, Ylang Ylang provides relief from anxiety and tension, besides preventing rapid heartbeat and fast, shallow breathing.
Sandalwood – This essential gets you in the mood of loving by relieving tension, relaxing muscles, and calming blood pressure.
Cardamom – This oil has a relaxing, favorable scent. It also calms nervous system, relieves nervous strain and mental fatigue.
Clary Sage – In addition to promoting euphoria, this essential oil has a relaxing effect.
Cedar Wood – It is best known for its gentle and warming action on both the body and mind, as well as for its amazing scent. Say goodbye to muscular tension and stress before lovemaking by massaging the body gently with Cedar Wood essential oil.
Patchouli – This oil will get you in the mood of lovemaking! It is not only a powerful mood lifter but also a potent stress-reliever.
Essential oils have many benefits and are safe to consume, if you use them as directed. Now that you know what essential oils are used for, make them a part of your daily life and we are sure you feel a huge improvement in your health and energy levels.
Enter your Email and you will get 5% discount coupon.